Thursday, February 12, 2009

What Group Are You In?

In class today we did a really interesting activity about the kind of groups that influence our lives and then the status we think we are in them. We learned that the groups we associate ourselves with, like family or friends, really affect our lives. I found it really interesting to learn about what important groups are to some people in our class. By looking at me, people would never know that religion is a really big aspect in my life. I am Jewish and I keep Kosher. I am not an orthodox Jews, but my mother's sister is. By keeping kosher, I have never eaten a cheeseburger or bacon or anything like that. People think it is weird when they find that out about me, but I do not because I have never experienced eating it. That is how I grew up. By my mom's sister being orthodox, I have experienced weddings with men on one side and women on the other. To me that seems really weird and drastic, but it is apart of their life and I have grown up with it. Also, family is a really big aspect in my life, and I found it interesting that some people in our class did not put family as one of the most important groups that influence them. I know that without my family, I would not be the person I am today. I am excited to continue with this activity tomorrow, because it is easy to judge people based on looks at our school and I like how I am finding out important things in each persons life. I personally think that the groups you associate now with really make up the kind of person you are. I am wonder what kind of groups I will be associated with when I am older.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the groups that you belong to influence you, for better or worse. I am also Jewish, however, I do not keep kosher becuase I belong to a more reform group of Jews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its amazing how much the groups you are born into effect the way you are. Family and religion are not something someone can choose, but no matter what it ends up being a very important part of life.

    ReplyDelete