Thursday, April 23, 2009

Social Classes

During this past week in sociology, we have been watching a really interesting movie about classes in America. It is interesting to see what we define as normal in our social class, and to see what others define as normal in theirs. My parents have always told me that I can be anything I want to be when I am older. The movie portrays otherwise, and it was really eye opening. Even if some people move up in social class, people do not necessarily let them in and think of them as their equals. Poor people could work so hard in their life to move up in social class, but they may never truly fit into their new lifestyle. It was also very shocking to see the lower class people almost kind of give up in getting a better life. People who grow up poor either want a better life, and may get it, or they stay in a class they have always known. The movie also portrayed the wealthiest people in America. Some of the people they interviewed were some of the rudest and most materialistic people. They judged people on the car they drove or what their last name is. This shows that in America, people judge others everyday on things that may or may not seem important to you or me. I really liked this movie, and I am excited to finish it in the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment