Thursday, May 7, 2009

Race

This week in sociology we learned about race. Race is something that is just made up to classify people, but how do we classify people by just looking at them. I think that it is really interesting that we classify people based on what they look like from what we are taught as we grow up. I never really realized that I judge people and place them in certain categories, because I was always taught that that is the way things should be. I also found it interesting that if you go to other countries, they have different ways to categorize people's "race." Even though a persons characteristics do not physically change, they are stereotyped as being someone different. I wonder if people are going to make more categories of races that are starting to become more distinguished in America. There are many people, white, black, asian, etc marrying each other. How do we classify them?..are they black or asian or white? I thought it was also strange that people say if you even have a little "black blood" inside of you, you are black-evenif you do nto look black at all. When we also played that game on the computer to guess which person was black, white, asian etc., i found it really interesting that we got a lot of them wrong. People look at other people right away and assume their "race" or culture based on characteristics that they posses. I never realized race was something made up, and this lesson really opened my eyes.

1 comment:

  1. I really like what you said about race and classifying people. Very interesting post!

    ReplyDelete